Episode 016: Josh Emdur DO, Direct Primary Care, Personalized Medicine and the New Doctor-Patient Relationship
In Episode 16 of A Medicinal Mind: Wisdom and Well Being we share a conversation with Board Certified Family Medicine Physician, avid runner and community health visionary Dr. Josh Emdur.
While Josh is certainly passionate about exercise and sharing his joy for running with his patients, his calling and compassionate service to others is most profoundly embedded in his unrelenting desire to improve the patient doctor relationship and ultimately improve communities most in need.
As you will hear in the podcast, Josh comes from a background and family deeply rooted in medicine, but his unique passions have brought him to pursue an alternative approach to engaging and empowering patients. Josh is one of the newest generation of practitioners practicing telemedicine based Direct Primary Care, as previously outlined in Episode 7 of our podcast with Dr. Spencer Nadolsky DO. Both Josh and Spencer have partnered with SteadyMD, an organization and platform dedicated to direct primary care and engagement of patients beyond what is possible in a traditional face-to-face medical encounter.
In our conversation today Josh shares much of his background entering the field of family medicine and later pursuing work as a hospitalist in Boulder, Colorado.
Josh shares some of his most insightful wisdom regarding the urgent need to transform healthcare delivery and revitalize the doctor patient relationship.
Together, we explore topics such as:
1. What does it mean to be in the profession of medicine? What is a profession in the first place?
2. What are the most unsustainable aspects of our current medical model and how are Josh and other physicians seeking to change the course of healthcare delivery.
Getting personal we discuss
3. What does a typical day looks like for Josh when seeing patients as part of SteadyMD?
4. What can patients expect as part of their partnership in working with Josh? What are the expected benefits as well as the potential downsides? Do you lose anything when seeing patients over telemedicine? And what are emerging communication modalities and health education resources that Josh is using to communicate and encourage patients to make sustainable lifestyle changes.
And lastly, we dig into our desperate need to find space and value in a cramped and overburden healthcare system.
5. Why is time to reflect, think, and further explore the personal needs of each patient so critical, yet remarkably lacking in current, traditional medical models.
6. How can patients add incredible value to their healthcare and decrease total cost by partnering with a Direct Primary Care doctor through membership based practices.
I’m incredibly grateful to Josh and all the visionary physicians and leaders at SteadyMD. As we share in the podcast, healthcare is changing and perhaps the only choice now is to decide whether you will be swimming with the flow or against it.
Please seek out Josh via the contact information on our podcast page, and begin to explore the avenues that perhaps you can pursue in partnering with a direct primary care physician, seeking to improve your health and the health of your community.
Please, if you enjoy this podcast, we would really appreciate it if you could leave a review in iTunes or Apple Podcasts so that more listeners can engage with our mindful message.
Thank you as always for your support and we hope you enjoy the show!
To access more information on SteadyMD use this link: https://www.steadymd.com/
And to access specific information for runners from Josh on SteadyMD you may use this link: https://www.steadymd.com/running
Learn more about how Josh is revolutionizing the Doctor Patient Relationship with SteadyMD by using this link: https://www.boulderdoc.com/
Explore our conversations, delving into the depths of the authentic human experience.